Have you signed up?
You probably plan to receive Social Security benefits at some point in time. Maybe you already do. Either way, you may want to consider setting up a My Social Security account.
Once you do, you’ll be able to:
- Verify your earnings history and then keep track of your yearly earnings
- Get an estimate of your future benefits
- Get a letter with proof of your Social Security benefits
- Start or change your direct deposit
- Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for taxes
- Change your address
If all of those reasons aren’t enough to convince you to set up your online account today, consider this: For every day that goes by without YOU setting up your online account, your chances increase that someone else will! If for no other reason, do it to keep yourself protected.
To create a My Social Security account, visit www.ssa.gov/myaccount. You’ll need to provide a Social Security number, mailing address and a valid e-mail address. You’ll also need to be able to answer questions that only you are likely to know and it needs to match the information on file with Social Security.
There is no need to wait. Sign up today and get informed!